Guiding An Estate Through The Probate Process
After a death in a family, or after the death of a business partner, the guidance, advice and counsel of an experienced probate law attorney is an essential tool that will ensure that assets are transferred according to law, in accordance with the decedent’s legally documented wishes, and in a timely manner. The Law Offices of H. Michael Soroy can provide the experienced, dedicated and reliable legal counsel you need during this difficult time.
We invite you to schedule an initial consultation with a knowledgeable probate and estate administration lawyer at our Los Angeles-based law firm. We serve clients across Southern California.
When Plans to Avoid Probate Fail …
Many people make plans to avoid probate court through trusts and other methods of transferring assets outside of the traditional probate process. Unfortunately, if property is not properly transferred into trusts or if property was unintentionally left out of these probate avoidance measures, the family will still need to proceed through probate. Our Los Angeles probate lawyers are well-prepared to guide family members through all requirements of probate court efficiently and in full accordance with California probate law.
We handle all aspects of probate and estate administration, including:
- Validating a will, if there is one, and resolving will contests
- Obtaining court approval of the named personal representative
- Filing all notification requirements
- Collecting assets and inventory of the estate
- Paying remaining debts and disputing creditor claims as necessary
- Resolving probate or trust litigation as it arises
- Preparing final inventory and estate administration closing documents
- Distributing assets and inheritance to named beneficiaries (or to beneficiaries in accordance with intestate statute if there is not a valid will)
- Closing the estate
Foreign and business assets, as well as personal property and bank account balances, can be distributed in an orderly fashion when your probate administration attorney has sufficient experience. Our probate administration lawyers skillfully apply the provisions of the law to each client’s asset portfolio and existing testamentary instruments, such as wills and trusts.
In every area of our practice, we are responsive to clients, giving each of them the undivided attention needed to fully address his or her concerns and find practical solutions. A careful approach to the fulfillment of business succession plans after the death of a co-owner is designed to protect the bottom line while dealing with the disruption of leadership and transfer of assets.